Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My 75-lb dog was prescribed a dose of 160 mg of prednisone

Customer Question

My 75-lb dog was prescribed a dose of 160 mg of prednisone last Wednesday. We reduced that to 80 mg on Monday. Tomorrow she will be down to 40 mg. She has a swollen abdomen and seems uncomfortable (from the swelling) and is taking quick shallow breaths. Is this a side effect of the prednisone (that will hopefully dissipate as the dose goes down)?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Scout, 5
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about scout?
Customer: She was placed on the high dose due to urinary issues and a weak positive Coomb's test. Her RBC and WBC came back normal.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.

Hello, this is. Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog. While we can see a pendulous abdomen with long term steroid use, I would not expect to see it happen with only a week's worth of prednisone. I would be very concerned that she could have bleeding in her abdomen or some other fluid filling the abdomen. If it is swelling and she is breathing as you describe, I would recommend taking her in the the emergency vet right away for an exam. She needs additional testing done to determine why her belly is swollen (x-ray/ultrasound) and determine the cause of her shallow breaths (could be difficult to breathe if her belly is full of fluid, or we could have bleeding or other disease in the lungs, or difficult breathing from anemia).

Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jess K