Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is vomiting, looks like she ate some kind of leaf. I

Customer Question

My dog is vomiting, looks like she ate some kind of leaf. I have given her pumpkin, but that came back up. She is drinking... good right? I have also tried plain rice. Any thoughts?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lola, a chocolate Lab, age 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lola?
Customer: No she is otherwise healthy and active.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How often is she vomiting?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- How long has this been going on?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Is she lethargic?

6- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She has been vomiting since yesterday. She drinks water but then sometimes that comes back up. She weighs 75 pounds. She's moving around but just not like herself

1- Is she drinking more than usual?

2- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She's drinking same as usual, gums are pink

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the fact that you saw a leaf in her vomit it is possible that the vomiting could be related to her eating plants. But, it is also possible that she has been eating leaves because she is having gastrointestinal issues. In other words, she could be ill from another disease like ingestion of a foreign body, infection, kidney or liver disease, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, on history only it will not be possible for me to pinpoint the exact underlying cause, I am sorry. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands-on examination by your vet and some testing (blood work and x-rays). Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, she can continue to have water. Leave her without food for 8-12 hours then offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep her on this diet for several days then wean her into her regular diet.

4- Follow up your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concerned look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter