Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 9 year old Yorkie has started eating things like dryer

Customer Question
sheets and sheer ribbon. What's going...
my 9 year old Yorkie has started eating things like dryer sheets and sheer ribbon.
What's going on?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear about your yorkie. Has she had any bloodwork done at the vet since these behaviors started? Has her diet changed? What do you feed her?

she did have blood work which was normal and her diet has not changed. she alternates between purina one chicken and rice adult, kibbles and bits beef and chicken, hills chicken and brown rice adult. Snacks are milk bone biscuits and milkbone marosnacks.

Has anything in your household changed that could cause stress to her? New family member/pet/work schedule?

How is her water intake and urination?

Has she never done this sort of thing before?

nothing has changed in the household. Urination and water intake appears to be the same. This is the first time it has happened.
Something did occur to me this morning. I didn't think it pertained, but..... anyway she has been scooting quite a bit. I thought she needed her glands cleaned, but the vet says it's not from that. She is due for a clipping so I figured the groomer would be doing that.
I did give her some pumpkin a couple of times and I give her a small can of wet dog food twice a month. Both times that I found the dryer sheet and the ribbon, she upchucked them. But I gave her the pumpkin thinking maybe she just needed a good cleaning out.
i'm not sure you got this message so sending again
have you gotten this message??

I am so sorry for the delay. I was unfortunately unable to get online to answer your question the past few weeks and I apologize. I am not sure if your dog has continued this behavior. If she has, then there are a few things I would think about/want your vet to investigate. Eating foreign objects is called "pica" and some dogs will do this out of habit but that is usually something that starts when they are puppies, which is why it is unusual in your dog to start later in life. I would want to be sure she is getting an adequate diet, so I would let your vet know the exact type of food your dog is eating to be sure she isn't lacking any nutrients. I would also recommend deworming because in rare cases parasitism can cause this to occur as well. Other diseases, such as thyroid disease, diabetes, anemia, and malabsorption of nutrients due to intestinal disease can also contribute. I might consider a more extensive GI panel to measure vitamin levels that can be low with malabsorptive disease (it is called the Texas A&M GI panel) to be sure that this isn't a problem with your dog. If her thyroid levels weren't checked I would check those as well.

Jess K
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian