PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog developed a very large hard lump on his left mandible

Customer Question

Hi my dog developed a very large hard lump on his left mandible on Tuesday night, out of nowhere. I can't get him into my vet until Saturday. It is very large and hard. He is eating and drinking OK, seems to be acting normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: It is Chopper he is almost 4 and an English Bulldog. I rescued him almost a year ago.
JA: What is the bulldog's name?
Customer: Chopper
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chopper?
Customer: I don't think so he is a really good, sweet boy. Has been pretty healthy since we got him.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?
Does he appear tender?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He does not appear tender. His nose seems warm.

This swollen area is suspect for an abscess molar. It's excellent that he's still eating and drinking. Until you can have him examine and treated by your vet, I would recommend making sure that he's eating soft foods. You can keep him on his regular kibble whilst softening it with water or broth to make it easier to eat. Depending on what your vet finds, they will likely recommend sedation, dental cleaning and addressing the abscess surgically. A course of antibiotics is typically needed, along with pain management, as well.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Chopper?