Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My puppy of 7months has multiple red circles on his stomach

Customer Question
Hello my puppy of 7months...
Hello my puppy of 7months has multiple red circles on his stomach and inner legs. They are red rings.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There does not appear to be any
JA: What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Prismo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Prismo?
Customer: He is a blue heeler pit. Had healthy parents and hasn't had any problems until this. These marks weren't there yesterday.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Thank you

Regretfully, the photos are out of focus. Can you try again, please? I need to clarify if these represent target lesions from insect bites or, instead, represent epidermal collarettes most often indicative of bacterial skin infection (pyoderma).

Those are better, thank you. Because they arose so quickly target lesions make the most sense. They're seen where ticks have attached and biting flies and ants have bitten. I've received quite a few photos like these recently which makes sense because it's springtime. I would make sure that Prismo's ectoparasite control is excellent at this time. His vet is likely to carry one of the newest flea/tick products in the isoxasole class to which fleas and ticks haven't developed resistance - Nexgard, Bravecto, and Simparica, e.g. These aren't repellents, however. For a repellent, an over the counter pyrethrin spray should be considered and that spray can be used concomitantly with one of the isoxasoles.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you so much.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian