Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

What can I give my dog for pain, Bandit and 9 years old he

Customer Question

what can I give my dog for pain
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bandit and 9 years old he is limping on his front right leg
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes I have I don't see anything but when touch it in joint he doesn't like it
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bandit?
Customer: He has seziures
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

You’re necessarily constrained to either aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight (22 mg per kg of body weight) with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen (Tylenol, e.g.) dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight (15 mg per kg of body weight) thrice daily. Acetaminophen isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin, however. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs.

A human narcotic can be helpful as well. Please let me know if you have such a drug at home and I’ll see if I can give you a dose for it. (Tramadol, however, is contraindicated in patients with seizure disorders.)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have Norco 7.5-325 mg

You can dose the Norco at 0.25 mg per pound of body weight of the hydrocodone in the that pill but shouldn't exceed 7 mg/lb of the acetaminophen every 8-12 hours. How much does Bandit weight, please? I can figure out a dose for him.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
15 pounds

Thank you. 15 lbs x 7 mg/lb =105 mg of the acetaminophen - practically speaking, 1/3 of your Norco. That would provide 2.5 mg of hydrocodone - a low dose but it should be helpful when given every 8-12 hours. Expect sedation. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. I'll give it a try

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?