Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

HEMATOMA OF THE EAR FOR THE 2ND TIME, SWOLLEN AND VERY RED

Customer Question

HEMATOMA OF THE EAR FOR THE 2ND TIME
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: SWOLLEN AND VERY RED AND WITH BUMPS DO NOT WANT TO DO SURGERY $1200.00
JA: What is the's name?
Customer: I HAD IT UNCONTROL UNTIL I TOOK HER TO THE VET THAT DID HER SURGERY AND KEPT RUBBING HER HEAR AND NOW I HAVE HER HEAR ALL RED AND SWOLLEN AND SHE AND I ARE NOT HAPPY PEARL A LAB MIX 11 YEARS OLD
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the animal?
Customer: NOPE
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she is a lab and can not keep her our of water but I do clean her hears and bath her and brush her teeth
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have been on here for more than 10 minutes!!!!!!!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 4 months ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Have you been treating the ear infection that led to the ear hematoma ?

Normally to get resolution of an ear hematoma there are 2 options. Surgery is one way to treat but we can also get Pearl on steroids for a month or so and allow the ear to scar in instead of surgery. it is not a quick fix but will be less expensive then surgery.

I would also recommend having your veterinarian do an ear cytology to find out what kind of infection we are fighting so we can address this to help reduce the itching and inflammation that has caused the ear hematoma.

While treating with steroids I recommend my clients purchase what is called a no flap ear wrap that you can place on her (much better than a e-collar or the plastic cone snd also this is washable.

Part of treating the ear hematoma is also addressing the ear infection.

If this ear has been a recurrent problem that keeps getting infected I would discuss with your veterinarian allergies as this is a huge cause of recurrent ear infections in dogs : both food allergies and environmental. There is a medical called apoquel to help reduce the allergic response that we can try in Pearl, but first we have to get the ear infection and hematoma resolved.

https://www.noflapearwrap.com

Why is an Aural Hematoma a Problem?

A small hematoma may not actually be a problem and may not require repair. There are several situations where the hematoma should be repaired.

• The hematoma is so big that the ear canal is occluded (blocked). If this is the case, the ear cannot be evaluated for infection nor can any infection be treated. In this situation, the hematoma must be relieved before the ear canal can be accessed.
  • The hematoma is in a location where natural healing will create scarring in such a way that the ear canal will be permanently narrowed. A permanently narrow ear canal can predispose the patient to a lifetime of ear infections. This is particularly a problem in cats.
  • If the owner feels the heavy ear flap is unacceptably uncomfortable for the pet.
  • To maximize the ability of the ear flap to stand up straight after hematoma resolution or to prevent excessive scarring in the ear flap for cosmetic reasons

Usually there is a reason why a dog has been shaking his head: an ear infection. This means that the ear infection must be treated along with the hematoma. The ear will need cleaning, microscopic examination of the discharge, and medication. Sometimes ear shaking just happens and there is no underlying infection, but be prepared for the expense and trouble of treating an ear infection along with that of the hematoma.

What if we Leave it Alone and just use medications ?

If left alone, an ear hematoma will resolve by itself. The fluid will be re-absorbed back into the body and the earflap will no longer bulge. The problem is that a lot of scarring is associated with this process and the ear is often not cosmetically appealing afterwards (i.e. it becomes a “cauliflower” ear). Resolution of a large hematoma can take several months during which it may be uncomfortable for the pet. If the patient is a poor anesthetic risk, or if the owner cannot afford surgery, it is certainly reasonable to forgo surgery.

Good luck.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have done the surgery and was under control but I did notice she was shaking her head a lot and I did have a choker collar on her and she had been swimming and I did not have the medicine w/ me but when I took her to the vet they has her hear was fine but the next day it start to swell but the vet was push on it and told her that she already had a hematoma

Try the steroids this time and re treat the ear infection. Will be much cheaper. Then I would address the possibility that she may have allergies as an underlying cause.

Order the no flap ear wrap and see if your veterinarian will start her on prednisone for month and see if we can allow her ear to scar in. The ear will not look the same and may be crumpled but it will help you avoid another surgery. This is what I do for refractory ear hematoma cases.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney