Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

My puppy who's 4 months old won't eat and keep vomiting when

Customer Question

My puppy who's 4 months old won't eat and keep vomiting when she drinks water. No diarreah... She was outside like usual and wanted to come in she hasn't felt ei Right since. We live on 5.7 acres never had a dog with parvo... been here 23 years.. I don't wanna rush her to the vet but what els3 can I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did who's eat anything unusual?
Customer: I dunno... Shes always in the trash. It's been a constant battle or maybe a toad? Would that mess her up?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about who's?
Customer: Her name is*****'s a border collie. This morning she even played fetch with my 7 month old dog. Came in drank water wanted to lay on the futon and threw up. But she was playing and act8ng normal now she's more lethargic
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 5 months ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Can you tell me if Keeva is fully vaccinated ?

I would be concerned that she may have ingested something that is causing a blockage in her intestines as well as infectious.

The problem with infectious causes or if she has ingested something that is not obstructing her intestines or stomach is that he longer we wait the more dehydrated and ill she will get and the more expensive it will be to treat her.

Can you tell me the exact time period of the vomiting? Has it been less than 24 hours, 24 hours or longer?

Young dogs can sometimes eat toys, trash or clothing (socks or underwear) that can then get stuck. Normally the first few days are just vomiting, but the dog seems to feel fine they just cannot keep anything down. Then a few days later we see diarrhea.

In young dogs with these symptoms I recommend taking them into see your regular veterinarian to have some abdominal X-rays done to look for a foreign object that could be causing a blockage as well as some minor blood work to see where their electrolytes are at.

With this being Thursday we also have to consider that if there is an obstruction the cost of possible surgery to remove the object or hospitalization to help her try and pass it will get more expensive if we head into the weekend. To keep costs down I would also consider taking her in today If you are able to. I do not want you to end up at the emergency clinic for possible emergency surgery where the costs are 3 and 4 x what you may pay with your regular veterinarian.

Because this just started we also have the option of trying some conservative therapy with injectable medications from your veterinarian for nausea and we can see how she does. Then if she is not better by Friday you can have her x-rayed. That way we can keep cost down today and she may be better, but if we need to X-ray her tomorrow we can.

I hope this helps guide you on what to do.

If you have any questions about my recommendations please don't hesitate to contact me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

If this did help guide on you what to do with Keeva I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

How is Keeva doing?