Sheena Christensen
Sheena Christensen,
Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian at Willamette Veterinary Hospital
98941024

I have this dog that we got from a homeless man a few days

Customer Question

I have this dog that we got from a homeless man a few days ago and he has a broken hind leg. He hasn't eaten since we've had him and we've tried hand feeding him. He is about 6 months and is a husky. I need help but can not afford a vet bill more than $300
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sheena Christensen replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. I am Dr. Christensen. I am reviewing your question.

First, let me say that it is very kind of you to take this puppy into your home. If his leg is actually broken he needs veterinary care right away. This type of injury is extremely painful and both the injury and his pain need to be treated. There are not over the counter dog pain meds, so he will need to see a veterinarian.

​Your veterinarian will be able to give you an estimate for the options and associated cost of treatement. I would discuss payment plans or third party lenders with your veterinarian. There is a good chance they have some options that will help you help Tommy. He will need x-rays to determine the extent of the injury. Once the veterinarian knows exactly what the injury is they can provide you with treatment options and cost estimates.

Please do not allow him from being active to prevent further injury until he is seen by the veterinarian.

I hope that was helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions.