Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
Unfortunately, vet fees vary widely from state to state and even vet to vet so it would be impossible to get any kind of accurate estimate. In addition, the type of fracture and whether it has healed some or not and whether it is even broken. Often when a dog will not put their leg down it is a knee injury such as an ACL injury. A dislocated hip might also lead to a dog not putting weight on it.
Many vets and rescues will allow you to surrender a dog and they will then treat the dog but they will not give the dog back to you or the original owner. Often the adoption fee for the dog will be the cost of the vet bills.
I would have to advise you to get the pup into a rescue or a vet that will treat and then adopt them out since treatment could be very expensive. Be advised that they may recommend euthanizing the pup if treatment is going to be very expensive. In addition with him not eating he might also have another undiagnosed condition as well. Here are some programs that may help with vet bills.
Veterinary Bill Assistance Programs:
1. The Big Hearts Fund: http://bigheartsfund.org/
2. Cats in Crisis: http://www.catsincrisis.org/
3. Diabetic Cats In Need: http://fdmb-cin.blogspot.com/
4. The Dog And Cat Cancer Fund: http://www.dccfund.org/
5. Frankie's Friends: http://www.frankiesfriends.com/
6. Handicapped Pets Foundation: http://hpets.org/
9. The Mosby Foundation: http://themosbyfoundation.org/
10. The Onyx and Breezy Foundation: http://www.onyxandbreezy.org/
11. Paws 4 A Cure: http://www.paws4acure.org/
12. The Pet Fund: http://thepetfund.com/
13. Pets-DC: http://www.petsdc.org/
14. Shakespeare Animal Fund: http://www.shakespeareanimalfund.org/
This site may have additional resources as well.
These vets may offer a free initial visit though you may have to pay for extra procedures and medications. See the next one for the coupons.
I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. If you expected something different from the site, please don't rate my answer lower as a result. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you.