Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have an English Mastiff/Lab mix. Took her to the vet for

Customer Question

I have an English Mastiff/Lab mix. Took her to the vet for shots and they said she was about 5 months old. She just got her adult canine teeth in and i dont know when female dogs first go into heat. She has a pale yellow green discharge coming out of her vagina and you can see it when she walks away from you.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There is not
JA: What is the mastiff's name?
Customer: Fawn
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fawn?
Customer: No. Just the pale yellow green vaginal discharge
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Fawn's vaginal discharge is more likely to be caused by a juvenile vaginitis than evidence of her first estrus (heat) cycle which usually doesn't appear in dogs her size until 9-12 months of age. Fawn's vet can check a cytology (microscopic exam of vaginal cells) and clarify what the discharge represents. In most cases of juvenile vaginitis, no treatment is recommended unless signs of urinary tract infection - stranguria (frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine), hematuria (blood in the urine) - are seen. As these dogs mature, the vaginal infection is expected to disappear.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's all. Thank you so much!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.