Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

About 10 days ago I took my pet in for what seemed like an

Customer Question

about 10 days ago I took my pet in for what seemed like an abscess in one of his anal glands. the vet discovered a grape sized mass in the gland. They tried to remove any infection from the abscess. They had to sedate him a bit. Anyway, the vet sent me home with rimadyl twice a day to help with inflamation. Upon the reexam yesterday the smooth grape sized mass has developed what the vet call edges. Says we should do surgery. We did blood work and his ALP came back in the 900s. Vet didn't seem too worried about that. My question is: Should I worry about the ALP? Should I do the surgery?
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out. I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Terrier mix about 15 pounds, about 12 yrs old
JA: OK. There are all sorts of infestations edges can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about edges?
Customer: That is all I was told. As the mass is inside I have not felt them myself
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your terrier mix. Can you upload a copy of all of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but his vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't. It's important to note that what was felt is usually a malignancy (anal sac adenocarcinoma, e.g.) that has already metastasized by the time of diagnosis. The ALP is a nonspecific enzyme expressed by both the liver and bone and so a metastatic cancer involving those organs needs to be considered. Prior to surgery, it's important to both X-ray his chest and ultrasound his abdomen looking for metastatic lesions which, if found, should preclude surgery.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.