Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Mini golden doodle just ate half a chocolate zucchini

Customer Question
loaf, being delivered to his...
My Mini golden doodle just ate half a chocolate zucchini loaf, being delivered to his grandmother, while I ran into the store to buy him some green chews. cocoa and chocolate chips in this beautiful moist cake
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 20 lbs. mini golden doodle
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: yes...a mini golden doodle dog
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Quinn...20 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Quinn?
Customer: he got into Lumigan,last evening, an eye medication . This is new behaviour. Chewed the cap ...not sure he ingested any mess.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has it been since he ate the chocolate?

2- Type of chocolate (milk, dark, etc.)?

3- Can you give me an idea of how many ounces did he eat?

4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Ate it within the hour
Milk chocolate.
Approximately 3 oz of cake
Yes, I have a small amount of hydrogen peroxide.

I am sorry for the delay in response. I had some technical issues at this end. So, to make sure I got this right the total amount was 3 oz, correct?

Friend, chocolate toxicity is directly related to the weight of the dog, type of chocolate and amount consumed. In this case, 3 oz of milk chocolate is not likely to be life-threatening; he may get gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea otherwise he will be fine. To be on the safe side you can try to make him vomit with hydrogen peroxide 3%. This is what you can do:

1- To get him to vomit give him 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide 3% orally.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit after 3rd dose or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit, observe him for the next 24 hours. If he becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have him checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours), unlikely for any symptoms to develop.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian