Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My spaniel (2 years old) was groomed yesterday and had all

Customer Question

My king charles spaniel (2 years old) was groomed yesterday and had all her long hair cut off for summer. Since returning home she can't bark—only a squeak comes out. Otherwise she is fine, eating, playing, etc.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your King Charles spaniel bleeding a lot?
Customer: Not bleeding at all.
JA: What is the King Charles spaniel's name and age?
Customer: Mercy, Age 2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mercy?
Customer: No. She's quite healthy.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that Mercy lost her bark after her grooming yesterday.

I suspect that she was very excited to be at the groomer and see all the other pets. It is very possible that she barked a lot more that usual, which can cause changes in her voice today. Some dogs also try to "catch" the air from the hair dryers and that leads to minor irritation and can dry out their respiratory tract.

As long as she is happy, playful, and eating and drinking well her voice should return over the next week or so.

It might help to feed soft foods, add broth or warm water to her foods, and encourage fluid intake by offering broth to drink and offer ice cubes to lick. The more fluids she takes in the better.

You can also give her a teaspoon of Manuka honey to lick up, which is a natural anti-inflammatory and antibacterial, a couple times a day.

Try to discourage her from trying to bark, that will only make the inflammation worse.

If her voice isn't coming back in 10 days or so she should see her veterinarian. They may choose to prescribe an anti-inflammatory.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hi Janet,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****