How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 30314
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Cavoodle ate some chocolate sometime during today. He has

Customer Question

Hi, my Cavoodle ate some chocolate sometime during today. He has seemed ok but is panting now and a bit out of breath. I don't think he had a huge amount but I'm not sure. We found an Easter egg wrapper of milk chocolate he had managed to get into
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A Cavoodle dog. Medium size
JA: OK. Welcome! How can I help with your dog?
Customer: he ate some Easter egg milk chocolate during the day today and seems to be panting.
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He is 5 years old. He is 16kg and his name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kirby?
Customer: His ears are a little red but I think he may have a small ear infection ( quite common within him)
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Toxicity from the theobromine in chocolate arises when a dog ingests a bit less than 2.2 ounces per kg of body weight of milk chocolate and 0.7 ounces per kg of body weight of dark chocolate. As you can see, Kirby would have needed to ingest quite a bit of chocolate to intoxicate himself causing vomiting, agitation, and tremors. His panting might indicate gastrointestinal distress from ingesting such an unusual food but it doesn't sound as if he were intoxicated unless those amounts were approached. Do you think that's likely?

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin