Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

How does it take for pimobendan to kick in to tell if it's

Customer Question

How long does it take for pimobendan to kick in to tell if it's helping a dog with CHF?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: CHF, diagnosed 3 days ago. She's taking Salix and pimobendan but is still struggling and breathing rapidly.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She's not in pain, just having difficulty breathing.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Allie. 13 y/o papillon.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Allie?
Customer: No, she's been pretty healthy.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Just ignore it. You should start to see some results in 1-2 days, but you may not get significant effects until day 7. If there are still a lot of breathing problems due to fluid in the lungs, it would help quicker for your vet to increase the Salix dose then back down once the breathing has improved. Although not always necessary, some dogs respond very well to add an ACE inhibitor, like enalapril or benazepril to the mix as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.