Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have 6 month male yorkie, I feed him twice daily trying to

Customer Question
I have 6 month male...
I have 6 month male yorkie
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: I feed him twice daily trying to introduce home cooked food
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he weighs 1.9kg
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hector?
Customer: toilet training is a challenge
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 6 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

When switching a dog over to a home made dog food you need to gradually do the switch. Over the course of a week you need to just add a small amount of the new food while decreasing the current food by the same amount. Gradually increase the new food and decrease the old food until it is all new food. This will help eliminate stomach upset and diarrhea.

Many small dogs are hard to train but even they can be crate trained as long as your crate is the same size as they are. Here is a site with more information on crate training.

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

This is how I house train all my dogs. In addition, put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that she needs to go out.

I do need to leave for about an hour but will answer any follow up questions you have when I return.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner