Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My puppy who is around five months or six months is very

Customer Question

My puppy who is around five months or six months is very lethargic today which is unusual she started becoming with our Jake yesterday mid afternoon-ish. She has a swollen lymph node and really does not want to drink any water which we have been trying to squirt into her mouth with a bottle, anyways to differ do you hydration. She also is breathing loudly/ snoring when she sleeps, not her typical store but almost like a congested Type of snore.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your puppy. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: As well as being extremely hot yesterday and then once I got her a bath to cool her down she was shivering and wrapped in blankets and I pretty much cradled her and she slept well I covered her ears because she was so cold. Her name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Raegan?
Customer: She should probably know that she has only gone one round of her puppy vaccines and I was ready to do the next ones and now she's sick so I don't want to give her them all she sick still
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

At 5-6 months of age, she should have finished her puppy series by now. One round of vaccines leaves a heavy concern for Parvo, distemper, etc. with the avoidance of eating and drinking, fever, enlarged lymph nodes, etc. Please do not administer any additional vaccines now. She does need to be healthy and feeling well before any additional vaccines are given.

Considering her age, symptoms and vaccine history, she would do best being examined and treated by your vet today. Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. For pets avoiding taking medication readily, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800