Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We have a many schnauzer and found a chocolate wrapper on

Customer Question

We have a many schnauzer and found a chocolate wrapper on the floor in our daughters room. Don't know if it was empty or not. He is laying on the bed and is panting which doesn't seem to be normal but is acting fine other than that. What should we look for?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gus 10 weeks
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gus?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you about Gus. Now if he is seeming under the weather, I suspect there was chocolate in that wrapper. And if there was, we can often see lethargy, malaise but it can also cause elevated breathing rates, GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea), tremors/seizures with sevre doses and sometimes belly tenderness (if he ate the wrapper or has given himself pancreatitis --something very common in the breed).

With this all in mind, provided his inner eyelids are pink and his breathing isn't laboured; we can try some home supportive care to could any brewing GI upset from this. To do so, you can try treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Afterwards, we'd want to start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free). This will help if he has had chocolate or has a pancreatitis. And if its likely he ate the wrapper, you can add canned pumpkin and OTC cat hairball treatment to his food to help that slip through the gut.

Overall, we do need to tread with care in these cases. Though if he hasn't overt severe signs of chocolate toxicity, we can try the above to see if we can get him settled. Of course, do keep an eye on that breathing and his inner eyelids color (which tells us he is getting enough oxygen), and if those are abnormal then we'd want him checked in case he has gotten into something else we don't know about.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )