Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have an 9 year old Maltese who appears to have pretty

Customer Question

I have an 9 year old Maltese who appears to have pretty sever constipation. Is there something I can give her to make her more comfortable.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Dolly
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dolly?
Customer: She has had a bladder problem and is currently on 1/4 tablet of Proin
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Dolly has this problem, hopefully it will soon pass, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. If she is constipated you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil { Liquid Paraffin } which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your dog's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate for an average sized Maltese would be in the region of 1 ml twice a day orally. A small syringe you can also pick up at the pharmacy would be a good aid in administering this product.

{ Until you can pick up the mineral oil you can safely substitute olive oil or vegetable cooking oil }

2. On a home remedy basis one of the other things that might help is canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, this is a gentle stool softener for dogs which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. You could try one teaspoon twice for a dog of your one's size.

3. But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the dog, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding, or perhaps giving bones, this form will often quickly respond to the above common sense sort of treatment.

4. But dogs can appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or other serious diseases, this of course is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider having a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Dolly's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Dolly is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her constipation ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott