Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

While we were out to dinner our multi poo, about 15 lbs ate

Customer Question

While we were out to dinner our multi poo, about 15 lbs ate through a suitcase pocket and a plastic bag in order to eat vitamins, supplements and ALEVE We gave her a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide but she has not thrown up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 51/2 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about 51/2?
Customer: 51/2 is her age. Her name is Quincey
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Should we try giving her more hydrogen peroxide or something else to make her vomit?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that your girl ingested some Aleve and various vitamins and supplements.

Aleve contains naporoxen, which is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory that we do not use in dogs due to the high incidence of side effects including gastrointestinal bleeding, ulcers (sometimes perforating) and kidney damage even when given appropriate doses.

The dose listed in Plumb's Veterinary Drug handbook in 2mg per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight every 48 hours.

Normal sized Aleve tablets contain 220mgs per tablet. How many did she eat?

How long has it been since she ate the tablets?

How long has it been since you gave her peroxide?

Was it unexpired?

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

At 15 pounds she should be given 1 to 1 & 1/2 tablespoons of peroxide to induce vomiting, IF these were eaten within the last 2 hours.

Then run her around to get the peroxide bubbling.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

In a dog her size (15 pounds = 6.82kg) a usual dose would be 13.64mg, so even if she only ate one tablet her dose was roughly sixteen times a normal dose if she ingested one 220mg tablet.

A single (meaning given all at once) toxic dose of Aleve in dogs is 35mg/kg, or 238mg or just a little over one tablet of the 220mg size for a 15 pound dog. I am not sure from your write up how many pills she had, or what time period they were eaten over.

Peak blood levels are within 3 hours of ingestion.

Toxic side effects are abdominal pain, vomiting, gastrointestinal ulcers which can perforate, dark tarry stools, weakness, anemia, and kidney damage shown by increased kidney waste product levels (BUN and creatinine) on blood testing.

Unfortunately the half life (the amount of drug metabolized and decreased by half) in dogs is very long, 72 hours, and as such the effects of the drug linger.

If you cannot get her to vomit these tablet (tablets?) she needs to see a veterinarian for an exam, induce vomiting, look for blood in her stools and urine, test her kidney waste blood levels and urine for signs of kidney damage and get her started on sucralfate which is an ulcer coating drug, as well as an acid reducer such as famotidine or omeprazole. They will likely want to put her on intravenous fluid therapy to flush out any remaining drug and support her kidney function.

They will also likely recommend feeding a very bland diet.

At home now if yu can get her to vomit you can start either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These should be given for at least a couple weeks to protect her stomach and aid healing.

Best of luck with your girl, let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for that info, but of course it is not what I wanted to hear.
Is it not strange that she has no symptoms at all?
The bag she ate into also contained Tumeric 1000mg tablets; Glucusamine with Chondroitin; Vitamin D; Grape Seed Extract;
Fish oil capsules, 1400 mg.
I do not believe those have any harmful ingredients.
I do not know how many ALEVE she could have eaten; but I am thinking about 6!!
If that were the case, wouldn't she be dead?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Based upon your response I had my wife take her to the Vet Clinic
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We could not get her to take anymore of the hydrogen peroxide. She only took like a teaspoon rther than a tablespoon
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome.

You are correct in that the rest of the pills are much less concerning.

Vitamin D could be a worry if a high enough dose is eaten, but a few pills aren't likely to be enough.

The trouble with Naproxen is that toxicity isn't necessarily seen right away. It can take many hours or days to see effects.

And by then it is too late to change much.

I am very, very glad she went to emergency.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

It takes time for stomach ulceration and kidneys to fail.

I would much rather get ahead of a toxicity like this one. Even if they cannot get her to vomit they can give activated charcoal to decrease absorption, sucralfate to protect the stomach lining and fluids to protect her kidneys.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****