Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is throw up in the morning and now the same but only

Customer Question

My dog is throw up in the morning and now the same but only liquid
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did throw eat anything unusual?
Customer: I change the meal but thats pretty much
JA: How old is throw?
Customer: 1 year and a half
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about throw?
Customer: He is throw up
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is he lethargic?

2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Any diarrhea?

4- How much does he weigh?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
diarrhea in the morning but now he is fine.
Once i put the food for him he smell it the he started to throw up but this food he haven't try it yet

1- Is he lethargic?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Did he get into anything?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you there?

Yes, I am waiting for your response on my questions. Did you get my questions? If you answer my questions in the order I submit them we will move faster and it will help me keep organized. I have repeated the questions below, thank you.

1- Is he lethargic?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Did he get into anything?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1- Is he lethargic? Yes is sleepy2- How much does he weigh? 11 pounds3- Did he get into anything? Not at my knowledge.

1- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

2- How long since the last time he vomited?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale? To me like pale2- How long since the last time he vomited? Once in the morning then today after i got back from work i was putting the food to him and he smell it then he started to throw up.

Thank you for answering all of my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you

Friend, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need a hands-on examination by a veterinarian, blood work, fecal analysis and x-rays as an initial screening test.

I am a bit concern if his gums are pale; this could be an indication of anemia, poor circulation, blood shifting to other organs, etc. If you have access to ER vet I would have him checked tonight. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until he is seen by your vet in the morning:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination in the morning.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much Dr.

You're welcome. :)