Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 9 month old Beagle puppy who has been having

Customer Question

Hi! I have a 9 month old Beagle puppy who has been having diarrhea for two days now (since Tuesday night). There's no blood or worms in stool and it is brown in color. No vomitting, though on Monday before the diarrhea started he did throw up greenish liquid with a black chunk in the middle. We didn't inspect as we thought it was a part of one of his toys. He didn't eat anything but a half cup of dry dog food (the same he's been on for months) for the first 24 hours. It seemed like his stool was starting to firm up, so afterwards we went back to regular feeding schedule (cup in the morning cup at night). But then this afternoon the stool resumed brown liquid. We recently moved, but we don't think he's eaten anything other than his normal food recently. He is still hungry like normal, though I have noticed an increase in thirst. I would rather avoid vet bills if possible, but don't want to ignore if this could be serious!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the beagle will be able to digest that. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Beau!
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Beau?
Customer: Nope, he has been very healthy his whole life and is a happy puppy. He is neutered and eats Science Diet for puppies.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is he lethargic?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is not lethargic (though he is resting and napping right now, though this is his normal time for that). He weighs 25-30lbs. And not that we know of, though a few days ago he picked up an uncooked piece of bacon in his mouth that had maggots on it that was outside the dumpster. I caught it right away and made him spit it out. He didn't ingest any of it to my knowledge.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sure thing!

Friend, the maggots are not going to be harmful especially if he did not ingest any of the bacon or maggots. Other possible causes for his symptoms are dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting and diarrhea the first thing to do is give the gastrointestinal tract time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep him on this diet for several days then wean him into his regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit or diarrhea after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter