Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 8 year old Dixie has one swollen teet. She has not been

Customer Question

My 8 year old Dixie has one swollen teet. She has not been fixed or bred. She doesn't wince in pain when I move it or touch it, but she doesn't like it either. The mass is hard but moves under the skin. She has been licking it allot today. She is eating well and otherwise behaving normally. She was in heat about a month ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ella
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ella?
Customer: She has never had any medical issues before. Just a happy healthy dog.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- To make sure I got this right, you feeling a lump, correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's been about a week. It is the size of a nickel and is clearly protruding.

1- It is above the skin? If so, can you post a picture on this thread?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think I've attached a photo

Thank you for the picture. Are you talking about the partially discolored nipple?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's not above the skin. It is directly under the nipple

I see what you are seeing, thank you. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's a little pink from where she's been licking i

Friend, my immediate concern is that this could be a tumor. The important question is: Is it malignant or benign? Unfortunately, on physical appearance alone we can not establish the difference, I am sorry. To determine the exact nature of the lump I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit the sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. The decision of benign neglect or complete surgical removal should be made based on FNA results. If your vet finds that this is a malignant tumor in addition to surgical removal of the lump she will also need to be spayed for a better response to treatment. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. Thank you.

You're welcome. :)