Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My pittbulls pups are six days old today and were growing

Customer Question
pretty well at first but...
My pittbulls pups are six days old today and were growing pretty well at first but i fear they may have stopped. I dnt have a scale to weigh them unfortunately. When they nurse now they cry loudly i belirve in frustration? When i checked moms nipples before today she produced milk but now i cant express any...do u think she is no longer lactating or could it b temporary?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mocha
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mocha?
Customer: Just she came to us as a rescue had been abused and tsken frm her last litter immediately after birth and dropped at pound. She has extreme anxiety and threw up daily since we got her until she delivered pups. We give her chicken rice with her food and peptobismol but she hasnt vomitted since the birth once. So discontinued pepto. Pregnancy seemed to help her she stopped being skittish and is a great mom...
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 6 months ago
Sheena Christensen

Hi there. First, congrats on the new family members! Sounds like a very busy week for you and Mocha. If you are applying light pressure to each of the nipples and no milk is being produced, I would worry that she is not producing milk. Be sure to check all of the nipples, as some may be producing while others are not. If there are not enough nipples producing to feed all of the puppies then I would recommend a visit to the veterinary clinic where a medical professional can verify if she has stopped producing milk and can give you in person instruction on what to do to get appropriate nourishment to the puppies. This would also be a great opportunity to get a weight on these little guys as well as check and make sure that they are nice and healthy overall.

Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 6 months ago

Was that helpful? Do you have any further questions that I can help you with? And, again, congrats on your new puppies.

Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 6 months ago

If you have not further questions, I would greatly appreciate it if you would rate my service. Thank you.

Sheena Christensen
Sheena Christensen
Sheena Christensen