Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

15 yr old dog with abcess in mouth, Swelling on side of

Customer Question

15 yr old dog with abcess in mouth
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Swelling on side of face. No pain. Eats well. But having some discharge and odor
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bell
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bell?
Customer: 22 lb terrier mix. Difficult to get her to ride in the car
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have her on 100mg doxycycline once a day. Started it yesterday the odor does seem better.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Anything else I can or should be doing?
Expert:  Michelle Ward replied 4 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Michelle. I will see if I can help. A few questions first. Has Bell had any dental assessment/cleaning done in the past? Where is the swelling? Is she eating and drinking ok?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The swelling is on her muzzle. I think it's an abcess maybe from a tooth? However there is no pain. She eats and drinks just fine. Great appetite. Does not seem to bother her. However it does drain. An odor began 1-2 days ago. I have 30 capsules of 100mg doxycycline which I started yesterday. The odor is improving. No dental work. She is very feisty. Always has been.

My guess is that it is a tooth abscess. Doxycycline may not be the correct antibiotic to use for this. If you don't remove the tooth, then it will come right back after the antibiotic is gone. If the pocket of purulent material is large enough, she may need a drain tube. She also needs something for pain and inflammation. She may not act painful because she is eating and drinking, but she has no choice. So, I think she needs an office visit to determine the cause. Hope this helps. Dr. Ward