Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dogs are suddenly getting sick. Their bodies are yellow

Customer Question

My dogs are suddenly getting sick. Their bodies are yellow as well their eyes. They're really sleepy
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Junior. His gums are yellow and there was a little red in his stool
JA: How old is Junior?
Customer: Stool was kinda runny almost diarrhea like
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Junior?
Customer: Just about 1 year
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I have to say that I am very worried about your dogs.

If you have multiple dogs with yellow gums/skin/eyes (jaundice); this is a sign of severe liver damage. We can sometimes see it with immune mediated anemias; but that isn't likely in multiple dogs. And in regards ***** ***** viral hepatitis, liver targeting bacterial infections (ie Leptospirosis) and poisoning would be on the top of our list of concerns for your dogs. Therefore, since jaundice is a sign of advanced liver damage, we really need them seen urgently. We'd want the local vet assessing the severity of damage, pinpointing the cause so we can assess their prognosis for recovery and potentially starting IV fluids, and liver supportive treatments (ie Denamarin, milk thistle, etc) to give them a chance here.

Any delay and you can at least start some supportive care for the diarrhea. To do so, start them on a light diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free). Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. And if they are very runny, you can also use a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. As well, do keep an eye on the red you saw, since severe liver damage will impact their ability to clot their blood and sudden bleeds would also be a worry here if we don't get them treated quickly.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )