Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 16 yr old dog is crying while licking this has been going

Customer Question

My 16 yr old dog is crying while licking this has been going on for a few months now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Dominic
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dominic?
Customer: He is a 20 pound cockapoo still eating and drinking a little stiff in the rear
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 5 months ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Can you tell me if he is licking at something specifically ? Or just crying and licking at his mouth or at nothing?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He usually licks either of his two front paws but sometimes like 30% of the time he isn't licking anything and is just crying out in pain I assume. He always has had skin problems but we have been given him the best food we can find for him. I can send you pics if you like.

Can you look in his mouth and tell me if he has dental disease? That can serve as a source of pain

In a 16 year old pup I would also start to be concerned for cognitive dysfunction (canine senility). They can start to not be aware of things like they once were and it can make them anxious and cause them to vocalize.