Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate week old meat out of the trash yesterday and has

Customer Question

Hi there, my dog ate week old meat out of the trash yesterday and has been peeing in the house since she did it about 5 times and pooped as well. First time she's ever done this inside
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Freckles and she's about 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Freckles?
Customer: Nope she's gotten into the garbage before, but that's it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Is she passing large or small volumes of urine? Any straining?

Dilute/watery or dark/strong? Any blood?

Was the stool loose?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

Anything else in the trash (ie grapes, raisins)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All day yesterday it was large amounts, this morning when I woke up it was a small amount. Mostly yellow colored with no blood. The stool was solid and normal size shape. She was fine with me touching her belly and no retching, gaggin, lip licking, drooling or vomiting. Her gums are white/pale and a little bit sticky. Only other trash was veggies.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Oh dear,

Now I have to warn you that her signs don't fit with her history. Dogs that eat rotten meat will have GI upset (vomiting, appetite loss and diarrhea) not increased urinary accidents. That fits more with possible kidney damage, liver disease, possible uterine infection (if she isn't spayed), or even a bladder infection. Furthermore, those pale/white gums are very abnormal. That in itself is an emergency sign on its own. It suggests possible internal bleeding (GI or otherwise), possible blockage in the gut, anemia, damage to the red blood cells (garlic, onion) or I'd be worried that meat was either moldy (with fungal toxins) or was contaminated (ie rat bait).

So, in this case, I am worried there is more to Freckles's situation that she cannot tell us. None of these signs fit with a dog that ate bad meat and instead are raising worries of toxins and possible internal bleeding. Therefore, in this case, even though she has eaten trash before without harm, these signs are all very worrisome and we'd want to have her seen by the local vet urgently.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.