Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has a foul smell. I just took her to the groomer and

Customer Question

My dog has a foul smell. I just took her to the groomer and got her shaved. But she stinks so bad. What could be causing this?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ellie Mae. She's a year old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mae?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Provided Ellie Mae hasn't any issues with dental disease, urine leakage or diarrhea, we'd be most suspicious that her odour is from an overgrowth of yeast and bacteria on her skin. This can be seen in some dogs and often we can manage them with periodic (ie weekly though some dogs needs more or less often) bathing using antimicrobial shampoos (ie Malaket). Of course, if she has any skin changes (ie pimples, pustules, crusts, etc), hair loss or this were to persist, then we'd need a full check-up with her vet as this can sometimes be triggered by systemic disease, allergies or immune suppression in dogs (which allows those microbes from unchecked) and those tend to need to be settled first to be able to manage the side effect signs like skin odor.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.