Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our has just been diagnosed with diabetes. I have found some

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, Our Jack has just been diagnosed with diabetes. I have found some treats that just contain chicken, and Vegetable glycerin and salt. Can he have this?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 13 years. :-)
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jack?
Customer: No..otherwise he is very happy and healthy..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, vegetable glycerine has been reported to affect blood sugar in human diabetics, therefore I would advise avoiding these treats if you can. You can give them on rare occasion but for daily treats consider high fiber/low sugar veggies like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, or radishes. As well, pieces of boiled chicken or beef, scrambled egg or a bit of cottage cheese could be given. Or there are even some DIY options (Recipe) and commercial ones (example). That way we can keep Jack's diabetes stable even as we reward him with diabetic safe treats that won't affect his blood sugar as these could.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )