Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 4 yr old lab just started with the lower jar quivering.

Customer Question
.My 4 yr old lab...

.My 4 yr old lab just started with the lower jar quivering. She has been scratching like crazy at her neck to the point she has removed chunks of hair and now seems to have a spot spot. I also notice her scratching at her face. Two days ago she threw up three times after dinner, but hasn't since then. I'm terrified and don't know what to do. I intend to take her to my vet in the morning, but reading many of these diagnosis on the internet is scaring me terribly. I also have a ten week old black lab who has been nipping at her near her affected area and my yellow lab has squealed about 3 times past two days. She does eat a busy bone every night and I'm not sure if she is in pain from the horrible scratching or something is stuck in her gums from the bones or from my puppy nipping her. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Heather

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I forgot to mention she was prescribed GentaSpray for her affected areas and licks it like crazy
5/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 6 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello Heather, and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry that no one picked up your question sooner.

It does sound like she may have allergies and that the itching is causing hot spots. Hot spots can occur when the skin stays moist. If she is licking , scratching, or chewing the area then the area is always getting wet. Keeping a hot spot clean and dry will help it heal quicker. Sometimes the hair around the spot has to be shaved to expose the skin so the hair does not hold in the moisture.

Shave around the wound, clean the wound with antibacterial soap, dry well with the cool setting of the hair dryer , and apply a triple antibiotic ointment to the area (do not use any antibiotic ointment with zinc oxide). If you have gentocin spray use that.

Over the counter meds for Allergies can help some dogs , but sometimes , with each year the allergies get more intense and those products are not as helpful. It may be time to talk to your Vet about Apoquel or Atopica.

Dogs will sometime quiver their jaws due to stress.

The busy bone, if it has a hard exterior and a piece is chewed off that does not pass through the intestines, then that can cause an obstruction of the bowel.

If the dog is not showing interest in food, continues vomiting , has diarrhea and is lethargic, then these are symptoms of obstruction.

I would try giving her a break from the puppy as well as that alone can be stressful for an older dog.

You might want to think about getting her a comfy cone and putting it on so that it covers the neck hot spot, but not so that it lays right on the hot spot, so she cannot scratch at the wound.

Hi Heather,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Nyla. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant