Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He keeps licking his private parts a lot. I keep him clean

Customer Question

He keeps licking his private parts a lot. I keep him clean after eating wiping his jaws or when coming back from a raining day dry him. He is also getting tiny bumps here and there
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: I don't know how to explain it but bumps like papery scalp as if he's hurt himself It's French mastiff
JA: OK. What is the mastiff's name and age?
Customer: Hooch and 11 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hooch?
Customer: Nope just him licking private parts and they are clean because I gave him a bath and dried him properly. He's a rescue dog so I am not sure if he's allergic to anything
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's on his skin, like a pimple or something. I don't know if I am explaining it write it's like how as humans when we scratch are heads and sometime we feel like paper scalp and on the head ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Are the bumps flesh colored or pustules/pimples?

Any sores,ulcers, dander, or crusting?

Any issues passing urine or dribbling?

When did you last treat for fleas and what product did you use?

Any diet change in the months before this started?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The bumps are more like pimples and the licking has been since I got him.
Saw some red marks at his underarms. Looks like acne those are the only ones that are red but other places it's more like pimple
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

Based on your description of this skin irritation and pimples; it sounds like he has a bacteria pyoderma. Now hopefully since you didn't mention any urinary issues we don't have urine scalding of the skin triggering this. If we did, we may need a urine test done to check for bladder infections. Otherwise, if this isn't severe (since oral/systemic treatment is better for diffuse cases spread over the body), we can try some topical care. To start, you can begin by cleansing this area 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put an ecollar on your wee one as a breathable cover to protect this.

As well, since these rashes can often be triggered by an underlying allergy, you can also consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, as long as this is not severe; we can try the above here. Of course, if this is causing severe irritation or doesn't settle with the above; then we'd want to have this checked by your vet as systemic/oral treatment may be needed to clear bacterial skin infection.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much :) I am using dettol antiseptic cream from today to get him some relief.
I did give him cord liver oil tablets before but then I am not sure if it works to keep him healthy
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome,

Cod liver oil is ok in moderation but.may not do much here. Still do use the above ( and do double check the dettol doesn't have phenols since those aren't safe for dogs).

All the best,

Dr. B

-----------------------------------------

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.