PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Recently got a Boxer dog. He is a joy to have but he smells

Customer Question

hi, recently got a Boxer dog. He is a joy to have but he smells a lot even after a bath. is there anything I can get that will stop this or or nuetralise this?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Boxer's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is approx 2 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Barkley?
Customer: He was a rescue dog, he spent 2 months in a rescue centre, I have had him for a month
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I entered my card dertails t pay the fee, I tried to log in with the settings I remembered but would not work, have tried a password ***** but have not received an email with the password ***** link, can you send me the create account link again please
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Does he appear to have any skin issues?

How often are you bathing him?

What product are you using?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hello
I got him from a rescue center a month ago, he was very smelly then, was infested with fleas so bathed him that day with a dog shampoo with a pesticide, the fleas were almost eradicated but used a local spray to reove the last of them which worked a treat. His skin had one or two minor scars (from other dog attacks at the rescue center) but on the whole, his hair was thick, and his skin showed no signs of infection or irritation. He did have a bad cough for a week or so but that subsided quickly. so overall I would say he was healthy and in good condition
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I bathed him the first day, again after 7 days and again just 2 days ago, so in all 3 times in the month.

Was the next time you bathed him also with the same product?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
was a half litre bottle

The best approach to start will be to use a stripping soap on him. This should remove the majority of anything on his skin which may be causing him to smell. Often flea treatments compound unpleasant odors coming off of a dog, so it would be ideal to start with a product that is meant to remove oils from the skin and not just serve as flea treatment. For this, your best choice will be a degreasing kitchen soap like Dawn, Joy, Dial, etc. Wet your dog well, apply a liberal amount, scrub the entire body well with your fingers and wait 10-15 minutes. Rinse clean with cool water to close the cuticle and apply any conditioner you wish to use. Rinse with cool water once more. If you are having problems with fleas, do not use soaps like this to be the treatment. Use a topical product that lasts for a full month to prevent them. Not only does it work more effectively but you will not have to deal with ailments like tapeworms, anemia, etc which can occur following a flea infestation. Additionally, the directions above should be used just before you're ready to apply flea prevention and repeated once every 30 days unless you use an oral flea prevention, which cannot be washed off of the coat.

You should also consider having a professional groomer bathe your dog in the event that the anal glands might be lending to the smell you're detecting. Expression of these glands can help greatly in preventing malodor.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Barkley?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy