Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Giving lactated ringers...vet sent home a bag..how much to

Customer Question

Giving lactated ringers...vet sent home a bag..how much to give a 10 lb dog in kidney failure...he is eating a little and drinking some
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tigger is about 10 and weighs is 7 lb long hair dachshund
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tigger?
Customer: He started vomiting about a week ago when he had some chicken broth..couldnt keep anything down..we have had him on antibiotics, lux t help his appetite, he had taken pepcid before seeing the vet...had him at vet 3 days on fluids, stopped vomiting, is eating some and drinking but weak..
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Tigger eat anything unusual?
Customer: No...his blood work said it was kidney issues..we have some herbal meds coming tomorrow and I have been doing hydrotherapy on him 15 min twice daily
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Tigger is having these issues.

As to how many mls of fluids you should give him, there's probably a slightly different answer depending on who you ask. However, if he were my patient, I'd suggest 75 - 100 mls (or cc's since they're the same measurement) at one time. I'd probably give them to him only once a day although if the fluids are quickly absorbed which might indicate dehydration, then they could be given twice a day.

As to how frequently they can be given, much depends on the patient and their response to fluids. Every day is what some patients will require while others do well on a twice a week protocol. Every patient is different, in other words.

If the fluid appears to pool down the side of his leg or body (it will feel sort of squishy), then he may be receiving too many mls at one time and the amount can be reduced the next time they're given.

I hope this helps, Deb