Michelle Ward
Michelle Ward, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Riverview Animal Clinic
97917792

My dog had tplo surgery and recovered beautifully until the

Customer Question

My dog had tplo surgery and recovered beautifully until the 12th week with no limping. Then he had a day of too much play and has limped for the last six weeks. We have done two X-rays in this time and sent them to our out of state orthopedic vet who says everything looks fine and to do physical therapy with him. Since we live in a rural area there are no physical therapist for dogs and I will have to do this myself. I also started hearing a clicking noise from that knee. I am not sure if there is more going on or not. He had the same surgery , opposite leg 1 year ago without complications
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There is none
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Popeye
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Popeye?
Customer: He is a Labrador, highly athletic, runs competitions for hunting, 3 years old. He did better right after surgery than he was before with toe touching on the first day. He continued to improve until within four weeks there was no limp. We continued walking him and stretching out his walks until 12 weeks and thought he was doing great until this. He also would swim as we have ponds and he loves to swim but this was probably only a couple times a week.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Michelle Ward replied 5 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Michelle. I will see if I can help. I live in a rural area too so I understand what you mean about doctor visits. Most of the time, we teach owners to do the physical therapy at home. There may be some youtube videos to help as well for knee physical therapy. I assume he is still limping, or just with exercise?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is limping with any activity

Good Morning. Is Popeye on any anti-inflammatory and or glucosamine? and how long ago was the surgery?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The surgery was on January 6th. He is on a nsaid

Thank you for your reply. I think he may need more imaging before opening up the knee to have a look. Sometimes a CT scan or MRI can be helpful because it is 3 dimensional rather than just flat films that may not show where the problem is-whether a problem with the surgery, or something else. Is there any hardware in there? If so, there may be rejection going on. Is it possible for further imaging?