Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog appears to be in pain--I think it is his

Customer Question

My dog appears to be in pain--I think it is his joint/arthritis. I have scheduled a vet appt for him first thing tomorrow morning but I, obviously, hate that he is in pain. I found expired Rimadyl (ex date 8/21/14). Would it be safe, or even effective, to give him a tablet tonight? They are 75mg and he is about 32 lbs--beagle/Pug mix. Thanks!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Oliver
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oliver?
Customer: I don't think so. He is 10 years old. His behaviors show that he is in pain--limping, not walking up the stairs, lethargic.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 5 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

Is he avoiding jumping up and down from furniture? When did this start?

Which legs is he limping on- back legs?

Are you there?