Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My beagle has a raised scab on his front left leg. I noticed

Customer Question

My beagle has a raised scab on his front left leg. I noticed it 4 days ago and am unsure where it came from. It has not decreased in size or shown any other signs of healing. Any thoughts on what it could be or treatment recommendations?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No other wounds. It doesn't seem to bother him. It's further up his leg above the "elbow" area
JA: What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Marley
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Marley?
Customer: No. He's typically a healthy puppy.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 4 months ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Can you tell me how old Marley is?

Can you send me a picture of the scab or lesion so I can see what we are dealing with and can better advise you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

downloading pictures now

It may be what is called a histiocytoma or a benign growth that sometimes happens on young dogs from their white blood cells in the skin being over stimulated. Most often these go away on their own in 1-2 months.

It is a little dark. Can you put some hydrogen peroxide on it and see if we get a fizzing reaction indicating that it may just be truly a scab?

From what I am seeing from the pictures I do not think we need to be overly concerned. Let me know what it does with the peroxide.

I will check back later to see if the hydrogen peroxide did anything.