Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 7 lb dog just ate one multivitamin. It has many many

Customer Question

My 7 lb dog just ate one multivitamin. It has many many other ingredients that are plant and root based products. She did vomit a little afterwards. I'm concerned there may be a toxic ingredient.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: Yes
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I would be pleased to review the ingredient list for you if you can tell me the exact product name. The only important ingredient in terms of toxicity to dogs, however, is vitamin D3 which can cause acute renal failure when ingested in amounts greater than 1800 IU per pound of body weight.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Vitamin D is listed as 500 IU (125%) obviously for a human. How does this translate to a 7 lb. dog. She did vomit.

500 IU/7 lbs = 71 IU/lb, far below the toxic level. There's no need to induce further emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Any concern with the plant and root based ingredients?

No, I don't know of any plant/root products that would be found in a human multivitamin that would be toxic to your dog. I'd be please to review the ingredient list if you remain concerned. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. This was helpful. I will watch her carefully for any changes.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.