Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My daughters' small dog...25 pounds, ate his Seresto flea

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: my daughters' small dog...25 pounds, ate his Seresto flea collar today while she was at work. I told her to call the Petoison Hotline and while she is doing that I am chatting with you. We are 4 hours away and I feel so helpless and deeply worried. Help, p,ear?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the?
Customer: Sorry for the typos....I'm stressed. Her fog, Schroeder, is 3 years old in perfect health....on no meds....the collar is from last year and was worn for 3 months.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

According to the safety data sheet on that product, the mixture of ingredients are of no significant toxicity. The collar itself, however, can potentially obstruct the small intestine unless it were masticated into small pieces that could pass unaided through a 25 lb dogs GI tract. Inducing emesis might be of value if X-rays revealed the collar to still be in his stomach. This would entail bringing him to an on-call vet to be X-rayed at your daughter's earliest convenience.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.