Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 7 year old Rottweiler has occasional diarrhea, sometimes

Customer Question
with mucus present. She...
my 7 year old Rottweiler has occasional diarrhea, sometimes with mucus present. She eats the same food every day (dry dog food mixed with chicken and pumpkin) and her stool is usually normal. But sometimes she has this recurrent diarrhea. I can't figure out what could be causing it. Please help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chloe
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chloe?
Customer: not that I am aware of.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How often do you see the diarrhea?

Any blood or black material?

When was she last wormed?

Have any tests been done?

Does she chew on anything, eat plants, or get any tid bits?

she doesn't chew on anything except her toys. She has, in the past, torn stuffed toys open but we take them away quickly. I suppose she could get some of the stuffing, but she hasn't had such a toy in over 2 weeks. No test have been done yet. The diarrhea is very occasional. Like maybe once every 2 weeks or so. That is what is so puzzling. She eats the same thing every day.
no blood in her stool, but I don't think she has been wormed. She is my daughter's dog and I am caring for her.

Hello again,

Now if her loose stools are that infrequent, then it does make common causes (ie viral or bacterial gastroenteritis, IBD, dietary sensitivities, GI cancer, etc) and systemic issues less likely. Though while its great to rule those out, we'd have to consider that we can see signs like this with worms, low grade protozoal infections, and related to things she may put in her mouth/sniff (so the fluff but also anything she is inadvertently exposing herself to on walks, etc).

With these in mind, if she hasn't been wormed it would be ideal to do so. Especially as they are common causes of intermittent diarrhea like this (where they'd cause more persistent signs if she were a pup). So, do consider a good quality OTC broad spectrum wormer form your vet or pet store. Or you could have her vet dispense Panacur/Fenbendazole as that will address worms but also some of our protozoa concerns. And while doing this, keep up on the pumpkin for fiber to firm her stools but also consider adding in OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) to support digestion and help rebalance her GI microflora if she is challenging it with anything she does ingest. Finally if this continues to persist, when she is next in for a booster, you (or your daughter) can have the vet test a stool sample. They can check for any odd bacterial overgrowth and for those parasites. That way we will know what may be lurking here and ensure we nip it in the bud for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian