Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog's stomach has turned black and stinks, she licks all

Customer Question

My dog's stomach has turned black and stinks, she licks all the time and her white coat is kinda reddish pink. No infections but does take allergy pill everyday.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maggie and she is 13 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?
Customer: No she is a very sweet dog and the licking her paws and stomach are nothing new but this black is. And seriously she smells to high heavens
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The hyperpigmentation (darkening) of her abdominal skin is pathognomonic (strongly suggestive) of yeast (Malassezia) infection often seen as a complication of allergic dermatitis in my patients. The reddish tinge to her haircoat can also indicate yeast but also porphyrin staining. Porphyrin is a dye found in saliva and tears.

When addressing this infection any underlying cause (allergies, endocrinopathy (hormonal disorder such as hypothyroidism), or keratinization defect (as seen with seborrhea) must be identified and corrected.

For mild cases, topical therapy alone is often effective. Maggieshould be bathed every 2-3 days with shampoo that contains 2% ketoconazole, 1% ketoconazole/2% chlorhexidine, 2% miconazole, 2% to 4% chlorhexidine, or 1% selenium disulfide. Shampoos that have two active ingredients provide better efficacy. Treatment should be continued until the lesions resolve and follow-up skin cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of herskin surface) reveals no organisms (~4 weeks).

The treatment of choice for moderate to severe cases is ketoconazole or fluconazole at 10 mg/kg (5 mg/lb) orally with food every 24 hours. Treatment should be continued as stated above.

Alternatively, treatment with terbinafine at 5-10 mg/kg orally daily or itraconazole (Sporanox) at 5-10 mg/kg daily for a month may be effective.

The prognosis is good if the underlying cause can be identified and corrected. Otherwise, regular once- or twice-weekly antiyeast shampoo baths may be needed to prevent relapse.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?