How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 30329
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog chewed up a 2g tube of epiduo acne medication that

Customer Question

my dog chewed up a 2g tube of epiduo acne medication that contains 2.5% benzoly peroxide
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: kate
JA: How old is kate?
Customer: 7 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about kate?
Customer: 60 lb. laborador
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Benzoyl peroxide isn't considered a significant toxin when ingested. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but Kate wasn't intoxicated. We prescribe quite a few gels and shampoos containing benzyol peroxide which inevitably wll be ingested to some extent by my patients. I would attempt to dilute however much was ingested by offering Kate tasty fluids in the form of milk, cream, broths, or bouilons. Over feeding Kate - which would please most any Lab - should be helpful as well. If any of the tube were ingested, a 60 lb dog shouldn't have much difficulty passing small pieces of it through her gastrointestinal tract. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank You!
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin