Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

We have a Mini Schnauzer, she had puppies 6 months ago.

Customer Question

We have a Mini Schnauzer , she had puppies 6 months ago. since then she has been less active , squints her eyes a lot , is getting fatter , is there any way to tell if she may still have a dead puppy inside of her causing her not to want to jump up on the couch/chair or running and playing with her mate?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the schnauzer's name?
Customer: Tinnie I took her to the Vet after she gave birth to 3 pups , I told him my concern, he checked her but did not do any xrays or bloodwork , he said she was ok and that was it.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tinnie?
Customer: Tinnie has been squinting her eyes a lot and gaining weight , she has been much less active since she had the litter.. she eats well and uses the bathroom fine.. she wont jump up on things like she use to nor will she play with her mate like she use to.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

To answer you directly, yes, an abdominal X-ray would reveal a retained fetus but if such a fetus were present this long after delivering, you would have seen discharge rolling out of her vulva due to the fetus detiorating and due to infection in her uterus. Her lethargy and gaining weight aren't symptoms of any one particular disorder but do suggest hypothyroidism. Not jumping or playing suggests that those activities are painful such as might occur with degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") in a mini Schnauzer. Blepherospasm (squinting) can indicate primary ocular pain or pain elsewhere in the body.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.