Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Started throwing up after a day at the beach on Sunday, i

Customer Question

Started throwing up after a day at the beach on Sunday
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: i have a Maltese poodle
JA: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Maltese eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not exactly sure
JA: What is the Maltese's name and age?
Customer: probably sand
JA: How old is probably?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** she is 2 years okd
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about daisy?
Customer: old*
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been showing signs?

Did she drink from the ocean, eat sand, seaweed or anything else?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Any diarrhea or black stool?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Since Sunday night, just threw up yer dinner from last night and then threw up a little sand Monday morning and we tried to give her a little rice last night and she was fine but then threw up because we decided to give her half of her greenie which was probably not a good idea and she threw up.
She can keep water down and even giving her ice cubes to make sure she is hydrated
No diarrhea no discomfort on her belly and no diarrhea or black stool
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Poor lass!

If she was eating sand that is going to be causing quite a dramatic gut inflammation since its so abrasive to that delicate tissue. And if she is too nauseous now even for water, we have a very serious situation and may actually need her started on injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet +/- gastroprotectants to give us a chance to settle. Any delay in that and you can at least try her with an OTC antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)). Alternatively, we could also use a liquid one (ie Milk of Magnesia 0.25tsp every 8-12 hours) as that will reduce nausea but also coat her inflamed throat and stomach. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though again if she cannot keep that down then she needs us to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Afterwards, you can consider starting small meals of an easily digestible diet again. Rice is fine but make sure to add a protein like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet. But of course we need to use those nausea soothing treatments before we try food.

Since dehydration is a risk if this has been ongoing since Saturday, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, this has been going on too long already and sounds very severe. So, its good she hasn't those other urgent signs I asked about but we really need to be using supportive care to settle her stomach or having her vet use injectable anti-vomiting medication, gastroprotectants, and gut safe pain relief +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not Saturday but Sunday
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

That is fine, but we'd still use the above treatment for her now and have her checked if we cannot get her soothed with that.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
currently having her eat bland white rice and water
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

That is fine but as I said before you need to use one of those antacids first if we are going to try to settle this gastritis for her.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
definitely not gonna use any of the medicines yet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

That is your choice, but you need to be careful here since sand can cause stomach ulcers and throat damage if not addressed.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Very true, we definitely are going to be taking her to the vet once it opens today.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They open in about 3 hours will that be ok?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is no signs of lethargic, etc
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

That sounds like a good plan and as long as she hasn't those urgent signs I asked about, she should be fine to wait a few hours to be seen.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.