Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog seems to have something caught in her throat. Her

Customer Question

My dog seems to have something caught in her throat.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: Her breathing is labored, and she is eating slowly -- a first.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lulu.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lulu?
Customer: No.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

If your sweet Lulu is otherwise healthy and eating well, this is most likely a Tracheobronchitis or Kennel Cough. This is a very contagious disease that causes a hacking cough so much so that it appears as if they have something stuck in their throat. This is often contracted at a kennel, groomer, or vets office because this disease is air borne. Since this disease is air borne, Lulu can pick this up anywhere. Luckily, this is a self limiting disease that will eventually go away on its own. Give her 1 teaspoon of Robitussin DM per 20 pounds of her weight given every 8 hrs. This will calm down the cough so she is more comfortable. It is best to have your vet examine Lulu to be sure there is not something else causing this such as an infection or heart disease which can have a similar type of cough.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****