Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is 14 and it seems on her last days. She has labored

Customer Question

My dog is 14 and it seems on her last days. She has labored breaths and when gasping for air she stands and doesn't want to sit or lie down. I want to know how to make her comfortable enough so she can sleep. She's also been wanting to go outside more often and she never wanted to with frequency like this. She goes out slowly and stands in the grass. She has a vet apt. Tomorrow but not sure it would be feasible to get her there even
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Daisy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is very late and we have no emergency vet service in our area. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Some online have given Benadryl but I don't want to unless a vet would say it was ok. I have carpropren for her and could give it to hee with a syringe.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She's been slowing down for about 6 days. Gums are pink and a little bit sticky. No apparent issue when pressing her belly. About 6 breaths per sec x 6 is 36
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I am concerned about Daisy.

Her breathing rate thankfully is only just mildly elevated and her pink gums do suggest that she is getting adequate oxygen. Though if she won't lay down and is standing to avoid putting pressure on her chest/abdomen then we'd be worried that she is having to do that to keep herself oxygenated. Just to note, it is also a behaviour seen with abdominal pain in dogs, but if her belly is comfortable then that is less likely here. And her going outside to stand just sounds like she is withdrawing due to feeling unwell.

With those all in mind, I wouldn't be keen for you to give Benadryl. People give it as a mild sedative and if she is only just coping with breathing that could worsen this for her. That said, provided she will take some food (since we want something in her stomach), we can try the Carprofen just now. As an anti-inflammatory it will help with pain but also reduce inflammation if we have an underlying asthma, bronchitis or even lung based tumor. Though if this is being caused by her heart, then it may not change her signs. But until we have her seen that would be an option to use here to see if you can just get her more comfortable until her vet is open (when you may want to ring and see if they can get her in sooner).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. She also went outside and pooped and peed and walk around a bit smelling things in the wee hours thus morning. Then now seems week and occasionally some panting. She was in an antibiotic half way through the treatment of amoxicillin trihydrate clavulanate potassium ... just checked and 6 left. Not sure if I should keep going with them. She's drinking water
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

Under the circumstances (and as Amoxi can upset the gut), I would stop those for the short term. Just focus on the Carprofen and getting her to eat a bit and see if we can get her settled until she is seen.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.