Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog has bit her tongue in the past resulting in bleeding.

Customer Question

My dog has bit her tongue in the past resulting in bleeding. She apparently did this again in her sleep and it has been at least a half hour and she is constantly licking her paw or blanket, but it seems to still be bleeding. I looked around her teeth and gum, but is seems to be her tongue. She keeps licking so it is hard to see. Can I get it or her to stop the bleeding?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Fern is 7 years of age, a beagle mix rescue dog.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fern?
Customer: Nothing I can think of.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Fern, please? To answer you directlly, there would be nothing a caretaker could do at home to stop a bleeding tongue...which should stop bleeding within minutes in a normal dog. If bleeding persisted, a coagulapathy (blood clotting disorder) would be considered.