Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a two and a half year old Maltese who had been

Customer Question

Hi. I have a two and a half year old Maltese who had been subjected to alot of stressful situations. Would this cause excessive licking? If so, what cam i do for her?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the Maltese?
Customer: She was in an environment with alot of yelling and anger involved in her owners lives....not towards her but just the situation of the couple in the home. Could she be traumatized?
JA: Where does the Maltese seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesn't hurt anywhere
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the Maltese's name?
Customer: Luna
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luna?
Customer: No I don't think so
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Where on her body does she lick? Or do you mean she licks people or things?

Any changes to the skin (ie pustules, pimples, redness, crusts/scaling, ulcers, or sores)?
Any diet change in the 2 months before this started?
What flea treatment did you use? When did you last apply it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She licks everything and anything....peoples hand and feet, arms, beds, sheets, etc. The only thing on herself she licks is her paws mostly. No changes in her skin really and no flea treatments are used.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

Now if she is licking things other then herself, then that does raise concerns of a behavioural issue as opposed to health issue. Since while we can see odd licking with nausea in some dogs and paw licking can be an allergy sign; with her history this sounds like displacement (and appeasement) behaviour with stress. So, with all you have told me, it does sound like she is a sensitive soul and isn't taking the negative environment well. Therefore, her owners may need to take that into account and perhaps counselling for them or working through their problems for the good of their dog should be considered. Otherwise, we could at least try to reduce her stress with an Adaptil collar/diffuser, Kalmaid, Zylkene, or Composure. As these aren't drugs per say, they can be used in combination as needed. As well, there are prescription drugs that can be used to calm stressed dogs, but of course trying to settle tensions at home and the de-stressing techniques would be our first step here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.