Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog, female, Blue nose Pitbull, 3 years old. I changed

Customer Question

My dog, female, Blue nose Pitbull, 3 years old. I changed her food to Blue Wilderness and a few days later she started bleeding , I though she was on her period but the consistency of the blood flow was to heavy, she started vomiting, she when from 128 lbs to 63.8 pounds in a matter of 14 days, I took her to the vet and they told me she has intestinal issues and they gave her Metronidazole 500mg 1 table by mouth twice a day and they gave her Propectalin tablets 2 tablets every 8 hours, her condition has had no progression, I am worry because financially I do not have the means, and they charged me 248.00 and she is still the same. What can I do to help her get better?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Lady Montes. Please clarify from where she was bleeding and if the bleeding has persisted. You mentioned she was in heat which would imply that the bleeding came from her vulva but you were told that she had "intestinal issues" which suggests that the bleeding came from her GI tract. Wherever the source, any dog that loses half its body weight in two weeks is critically ill - usually from a neoplastic (cancer) process. it would be very unlikely that such a patient could recover even with the best of diagnostics and care. I understand your financial constraints, however.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when i took her to the vet they said she had intestinal issue and gave her two medicine, which has not help her at all. I believe it made her worse. Can a dog that has been so healthy get neoplastic out of no where and show no other symptoms ? How can I help her?

Yes, cancer can arise at any age. You can't know how to help her until she's diagnosed properly.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
DO you know of any animal hospital in the Savannah are that can help. I don't have the mean financially.

Regretfully, no. I live in California. In general, an SPCA hospital is most likely to offer financial assistance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I called and no luck, is there any other way for me to try to help her and make her comfortable?

Other than spoiling her rotten, no. Having the final kindness performed should be considered in any patient who has lost such a profound amount of weight in such a short period of time. Only terminal patients will behave in that manner.